SSC UK - Sr Network Architect (m/f/d)
SSC Space UK is a wholly owned subsidiary of Swedish Space Corporation. Based within the science park at Harwell in Oxfordshire UK, the company is growing rapidly to provide groundbreaking next-generation space services to the NewSpace market.
We are defining and developing cutting edge technologies and innovative system solutions in collaboration with a range of partners across the burgeoning new space industry. We are looking for people who really want the opportunity to make a difference. We are offering a number of rewarding career opportunities for people to join our dynamic team and to extend their careers working at the cutting edge of the space industry.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced network professional to further their career in the space industry and play a leading role in defining and delivering cutting edge network solutions in a collaborative environment, working with highly skilled engineers across multiple domains and sites. The role is complemented by an attractive salary and good benefits package.
Harwell, Oxfordshire, UK
Occasional travel may be required.
The Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Design and develop network architectures and operations to support NewSpace systems and services.
- Analyse and characterise performance of existing communication protocols and develop new, more efficient and higher performance protocols.
- Lead engineering and design teams through all phases of the network development life: understanding contexts, suggesting ideas, planning, design, development, deployment, evolution and maintenance.
- Define, develop or adapt communications protocols, interfaces and standards to support network operations.
- Maintain network integrity & performance while managing expansion into new geographic areas.
- Technical authority on network systems, including software and hardware development, implementation, interface definitions, testing, and release.
- Work with team leads, Scrum Master and Product owners in delivering user stories on time.
Essential Skills and experience:
- A University degree in engineering domain relating to information technologies or computer networks.
- 5+ years of professional hands-on experience architecting, developing, and operating enterprise class networks.
- Solid experience in the following areas:
- Wireless networking, software defined networking (SDN) and/or network function virtualization (NFV).
- IP WAN/LAN customization and optimization in satellite / telecommunications systems.
- Cloud-based technologies (Kubernetes, Azure, AWS, C2S, Istio).
- Integration of communication protocols and network layers.
- Solid understanding of communications standards (3GPP, IEEE, LTE etc.), IP networks and routing/switching protocols.
- Experience creating documentation, procedures and run projects independently.
- System-thinker, team player and a valuable member of the agile development team.
- Experience of mentoring and coaching peers and/or junior engineers.
- Professional level network or cloud certifications (Cisco/Juniper/AWS/Azure).
- Understanding satellite technologies and systems.
- Knowledge on satellite communication standards/protocols such as CCSDS, ECSS, ETSI etc.
- Knowledge /experience on development and operations for space and ground communication systems.
- Knowledge on systems engineering practises and tools.
- Recognised design leadership in past roles.
- Working with or within ITIL, DevOps, Agile methodologies and CI/CD.
- Eligibility for UK security clearance
To learn more about the company and its advanced services and to apply, visit https://sscspace.com/