Spacecraft Operations Engineer (f/m/d)
Start Date: August/September 2022
Location: Eumetsat, Darmstadt, Germany
Working hours: full time, 40h/week
Submission deadline: 26th June 2022
The candidate shall primarily provide consultancy to the Metop LEO Spacecraft Operations, including platform subsystems and / or payload instruments, depending on the overall team needs.
She/he shall also coordinate with external teams responsible for on-board software management, simulator support, mission control, mission planning, flight dynamics and ground stations.
She/he shall be required to support operations during normal working hours, as well as support the on-call operations engineer rota, such that safe and efficient operations are ensured by the Spacecraft Operations Team on a 24/7 basis.
- Provide consultancy to the routine operations of Metop B, and C spacecrafts:
- Provision of operational expertise to one or more platform subsystems and/or payload instruments and/or on-board software management, satellite simulator and ground segment operations interfaces.
- Maintain the corresponding operations documentation and flight procedures, including the update and operational validation of procedures releases in a configuration-controlled environment.
- Perform trending and performance analysis on the corresponding subsystems and instruments, including definition and possibly prototyping of additional analysis checks where necessary;
- Investigations into satellite anomalies. This may require a close co-operation with the Operations Support Entity (ESA and Industry);
- Support the coordination of partner agency interactions for relevant subsystems/instruments.
- Participation in the satellite on-call support rota;
- Identification and support to implementation of system and process improvements concerning the Metop Spacecraft Operations Team responsibilities and interfaces.
- Provide consultancy to the system and operations preparation of the Metop Second Generation satellites
- Provide inputs and / or review the definition of system and satellite operational concepts;
- Review space to ground interface specifications and flight operations manuals
- Provide consultancy the definition of tools and processes required to prepare for and operate the satellites.
- University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- demonstrated experience in at least two of the following mandatory skills, with a particular emphasis on Three-Axis Stabilised Attitude and Orbit Control Systems:
- Spacecraft monitor and control operations
- Spacecraft operations preparation engineering
- Low Earth Orbit spacecraft design or Assembly Integration and Test activities at system or subsystem level
- In-orbit operations of Low Earth Orbit Earth Observation satellites
- Experience in the operation or development of satellite ground segment facilities, in particular procedure development, monitor and control, mission planning, on-board software management, performance analysis, configuration management and simulator facilities
- The procedure development tool MOIS and the procedure execution language STOL
- The mission control systems EPOCH and SCOS
- Specification of system and operational concepts, facility requirements
- Familiarity with On-Board Control Procedure and On-Board Position Scheduler concepts
- Familiarity with the ECSS Packet Utilisation Standard, customisation and usage
- Familiarity with system change control and configuration management procedures
- Data analysis software packages such as MATLAB
- Familiarity with Python or similar
- File parsing languages such as PERL, AWK
- Use of VBA for development of ad-hoc tools in MS Office applications
- self-motivated and able to work in an organised and efficient manner with no supervision
- Strong data analysis, processing and synthesis skills
- Fluency in English
In line with security requirements of the mission, the candidate must hold the citizenship of one of the EUMETSAT state member (see https://www.eumetsat.int/who-we-are/eumetsat-member-states) and will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.
- Permanent employment contract
- 30 days paid vacation
- Relocation service
- Deferred compensation scheme
- Competitive salary
- ISO 9001-certified workplace
- Sponsored gym program “Qualitrain”
- German classes
- Bike lease program “Jobrad”
- Company events
- Educational training program
- Company doctor
LSE Space is your partner is space! The company was established in 1990 and is part of the Engineering Service Team of SSC. We employ more than 170 engineers and scientists from all over the world who provide a wide range of space engineering services to the international space market such as manpower, support in all space mission project phases or full service, independent consultancy as well as trainings. Our core areas of expertise include Earth observation missions, interplanetary probes, manned space, navigation constellations and commercial telecommunications missions. Our company is ISO-9001-certified and thus stands for high quality and structured processes. As LSE Space is a highly international company the company language is English.
Mission and Values
- Mission: We help Earth benefit from Space
- Vision: The leading global provider of advanced space services
- Sustainability: environmental, financial and social
- High quality: in everything we do
- Our C.O.R.E. Values:
- Customer orientation: We always put our customer’s needs at the forefront of everything we do
- One company: Collaboration is key – One for all and all for one!
- Responsibility: We are known to be reliable and result-orientated all the way
- Excellence: We always strive to deliver better than expected
LSE Space GmbH
HR Recruiting Team
Friedrichshafener Straße 2
Tel.: +49 (0) 8105 777 404 42