REXUS/BEXUS internship – Payloads & Flight Systems
Science Services Division is a part of SSC developing scientific payloads, providing launch services for rockets and stratospheric balloons as well as testing of space systems and reusable rockets.
The REXUS/BEXUS programme allows students from universities and higher education colleges across Europe to carry out scientific and technological experiments on research rockets and balloons. Each year, two rockets and two balloons are launched, carrying up to 20 experiments designed and built by student teams. REXUS experiments are launched on a rocket carrying student experiment modules to an altitude of approximately 90 km. BEXUS experiments are lifted by a stratospheric balloon up to a maximum altitude of 30 km for flight duration of 2-5 hours. REXUS and BEXUS are launched by SSC from Esrange, in Kiruna (Sweden).
As intern on the REXUS/BEXUS programme, you will be supporting the development of the BEXUS mission by designing the new generation of gondola; the mechanical structure carrying the experiments under the balloon.
This main mission of development will start with a good understanding of the users’ needs and the actual constraints of the gondolas (technical, operational, and financial). Moreover, you will have to propose a new concept of gondola and design it during the internship timeframe. The mission will end with a final design review in front of a panel from SSC and with the possible participation of the REXUS/BEXUS stakeholders.
Your second mission will be to support the organisation of the BEXUS campaign that will be held in September/October 2022. Thus, you will work with the REXUS/BEXUS programme manager supporting the elaboration of the Campaign Requirements Plan, the payload accommodation on the gondola and the campaign preparation at Esrange.
BONUS – You might be involved in the BEXUS launch operations within the Launch Team and participate in the launch of two balloons.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are a student
- You want to experience launching a stratospheric balloon within a well experienced team
- You are autonomous, have a pro-active mindset and are a good communicator
- You want to experience working for a Space company
- You want to learn how to lead a microproject
- You want to be introduced to system engineering
- You have skills in Solidworks, AutoCAD or CATIA
- You have a proficiency level in English (both oral and writing)
- You want to participate to a balloon campaign with students from all over Europe
- Maybe have you already participated to a hands-on project?
Then, it seems that this internship is made for you!
WE OFFER YOU
- A unique opportunity to work from the historical European launch site Esrange
- A chance to lead a microproject and shape the future flight systems for BEXUS
- An excellent opportunity to experience balloon launch operations within a very experienced team
- An experience in Lapland while working in an international environment
SSC Esrange, Kiruna (Sweden).
Full time position
Starting in June / July 2022
Are you interested in this new opportunity? Interviews are held continuously. We look forward to your application at the latest by January 31.
If you have any questions concerning this application, please contact: Armelle.email@example.com
WE HELP EARTH BENEFIT FROM SPACE
SSC is a leading global provider of advanced space services with more than fifty years of experience. Since our start pioneering scientific rocket launches in northern Sweden, we have grown into a renowned, full-service supplier of state-of-the-art space engineering, satellite and launch services to commercial and institutional customers worldwide.