Mechanical Engineer – Rockets and Balloons
At SSC we enables our customers to make better use of space. Through the efforts of our nearly 600 employees around the world, we provide specialized competence in design, test, launch and operation of space and air systems. The Science Services Division develops rocket and balloon systems including experiment equipment for microgravity research. We also launch rockets and balloons from Esrange Space Center.
Rockets and Balloons Science Services is the department of Swedish Space Corporation providing launch services for various vehicles reaching the upper atmosphere and space. Our customers are space organisations, scientists, corporations, and institutes of higher education
The role has two major tasks. As department we conduct various missions launching rockets and stratospheric balloons in close collaboration with the customer when they are on site. The first is enabling our launch services as part of the operational team. The second task is mechanical engineering, designing and implementing items related to our launch services. The role has a certain level of flexibility depending on aptitude, interest and current need in the organisation.
Example of work tasks:
- Perform in launch preparations
- Take part in customer requirements discussions as a specialist in mechanics
- Ensure equipment maintenance and upgrades such as the rocket launchers
- Design and implement novel items to increase or expand our services
This position is 40h per week average. During missions the work is irregular to meet launch conditions and customer demands.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a service minded person, thorough and work well with people. You can manage irregular hours and long shifts from time to time. You can travel to mission sites and be there for up to six weeks.
We also believe you have:
- a good proficiency in the English and Swedish language
- a university degree or corresponding experience in mechanical engineering
- a driving licence for cars
We would consider it a bonus should you also have:
- prior experience in the space sector towards launch services
- experience in mechanical design working with Autodesk Inventor or Pro Engineer
- driving licenses for heavy vehicles and machinery
You will be subject to a background check
WE OFFER YOU
- a unique opportunity to be part of the exciting space industry
- an excellent opportunity for personal development and challenging endeavours
- a workplace characterised by an open atmosphere and proud employees all over the world
- to be part of our team to service Earth to benefit from space
Your main workplace will be at Esrange Space Center located outside Kiruna in the North part of Sweden. As part of the operational crew for rockets and balloons campaigns may take place at other locations around the globe.
Do you see yourself part of Swedish space industry, assisting both the private and public sector? We evaluate applications continuously. Please apply using your CV and personal letter by clicking the apply button below.
For more information please contact:
Joakim Öman, Manager Technology Science Services
WE HELP EARTH BENEFIT FROM SPACE
SSC is a leading global provider of advanced space services with more than fifty years of experience. Since our start pioneering scientific rocket launches in northern Sweden, we have grown into a renowned, full-service supplier of state-of-the-art space engineering, satellite and launch services to commercial and institutional customers worldwide.